Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Search Continues

My yearly "Looking for Hugh Bellew" message has been posted to the message boards, and while I was thinking about Uncle Hugh, my thoughts turned to Uncle Al. What if the same fate came to Hugh? Unfortunately I may never know.

After much contemplation, I decided to publish this photo. I had wondered how others would feel about it, when I told the story of Alfred Bellew in a previous post here, at that time I wasn't comfortable putting it out there. His story is a sad one, as noted in the caption below this photo.



I'm still searching for Hugh, or at least information on what became of him. I know he was born about 1916 in Preston, England, his parents were John Bellew and Margaret McCann Bellew. I know that he came to the US with his mother in 1926. I also know that he graduated from the School of the Holy Trinity in Central Falls RI, and went on to live in North Adams Massachusetts in the 1940's. The family last heard from him in the 1950s, at which time it is believed he may have been in the area of Chicago. What we don't know is what ever became of him after that - there was no further contact.

1 comment:

  1. I do remember the story of Al. It is so sad. I hope you can find Hugh. Maybe someone will hear about this blog and contat you .. you never know.
    I just popped in to catch up with you my friend and hope all is good and you are well. I am ok and Adam is doing ok
    Hugs June xxx

    ReplyDelete