Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cemetery Saturday (or Sunday :-)

These are the headstones of George W. Keener, and his wife Margaret Miller Keener; my 4th Great Grandparents.

George was born in 1772 in Shenandoah County Virginia. He was the son of Samuel Keener & Catherine McCullough. He died May 22, 1863 in Taylor County WV.

Margaret Miller was born in 1788 in Bath County Virginia, she was the daughter of John Miller & Eva Burns. She died April 26, 1860 in Taylor County WV.

Both are buried in the Keener Cemetery in Grafton, West Virginia. The cemetery is located in the woods on private property, but I understand that the owner is very welcoming to family members who wish to visit these graves. I have not yet had the pleasure of visitng the cemetery myself - these photos were taken by Melissa Wisen, another descendant of this couple, who has photographed many of the stones located there. To view the other burials at this cemetery (79 in total entered), you can visit the Keener Cemetery page at Find A Grave. Or to view other listings created by Melissa, you can view her stats page here.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome !!! I totally understand why you are hooked on genealogy, Cindy. I get excited just reading your posts. I can only imagine how excited you get when you happen upon a discovery.
    Let me know if any McCullens turn up in your tree ... we may be related !!
    :-)
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete