Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - The Trees Are Winning

Last week I posted about a visit to Grafton, Taylor, West Virginia.  While there I visited the cemetery of my ancestors, the Keener Cemetery.

I noted that it was located in the woods and while it's very serene and a beautiful place, it's also evident that the trees are taking over and many of the headstones are damaged and almost illegible at this point. 

These two stones (one in the foreground and the other on the opposite side of the tree) belong to my 4th Great Grandparents, George and Margaret (Miller) Keener.   Obviously buried side-by-side, the tree has grown up between them and in time has broken both of their stones off. 



Margaret Miller Keener b. 1792, d. 18 Apr 1860
 
George Keener b. 1772, d. 22 May 1863


No comments:

Post a Comment