Thursday, January 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday

This is my Granddad's Purple Heart from wounds received in WWII. One of his medals that I had to get replaced by the military. If you haven't seen the post about the year-long battle I had to fight to get them, you can read all about it here. Now, I have a confession to make. I had no idea that the back of medals of this sort were engraved. I received the medals, had them out of the cases, shared them with my Grandmother. It wasn't until several months later when I visited my mother and she removed it from the box while I was sitting directly across from her that I actually noticed the William P. Bellew engraved on it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Cindy! This is indeed a treasure! How beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,
    Loved the pictures of the Purple Heart Medal, but most of all the story of how you pursued getting replacements of your Grandfather's medals. Your Grandmother must have been so pleased and proud of you for such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a purple heart. Thank you for your post. I know you must have this is a special place in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. This is a treasure. The medal is special but with the engraving on the back it it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete