Sunday, October 11, 2009

Spotlight Sunday - Grace Emma Horsman Souder

Yes I do realize that it's "Black Sheep Sunday" in the genea-blogging world today, but I'm trying to find a new way to get more people in my file noted on my blog. One idea I've seen others do is to highlight a specific ancestor on their birthday. Rather than doing just a birthday spot every day, I thought I'd pick one ancestor who's birthday falls in the week (or month) and do a short write up about that person - whatever I may know to date. This will help me get more family member information posted to my blog and help me find holes in my research when there are not a lot of facts available for any given family.

Today, it's Grace Emma Horsman Souder, a second great aunt on my father's side.

Much of information I have on Grace has been passed to me from a cousin who is a descendant of hers. The photo posted here is the only one I have of her.

Grace Ellen Horsman was born Oct 20 1887 in Fairfax County Virginia; she was the daughter of James Thomas Horsman and Emma Katherine Dawson. She lived in Fairfax for all of her young life and married Alpheus Dorsey Souder on December 15, 1908 in the "Old Church" in Vienna, Fairfax County Virginia. The couple had two children, Alpheus Wesley Souder born in 1921 and Everett William Souder born in 1925. They spent some time living in Washington DC and in Prince George's County Maryland. Grace's husband died in 1950 at the age of 68 in Prince George's County; Grace died May 7, 1966 at the age of 78. I am unaware of where she died, she is buried in the Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington DC with other Souder family members.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post, thank you for sharing your info on your Grace

    ReplyDelete