Thursday, October 14, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday

Yet another pin today, from Grandma's Jewelry Box.   I chose this becuase it seemed very odd to me, and after doing a bit of research on it and discovering its origin, I've no idea why Grandma had it or where she got it.   Grandma loved the flea market and yard sales, picking up oddities and this very well could have been in a mix of costume jewelry that she purchased.  


This pin measures 1/2" square, and is the insignia for the Phi Kappa Sigma International Fraternity.  This all-male fraternity was started in 1850 at the University of Pennsylvania and today has over 50 active chapters in the U.S. and Canada.  Similar pins I've found on line have some type of stamps or engraving on the reverse, this one however does not.   Could Grandma have known a member of this fraternity?  I will probably never know.

2 comments:

  1. Do you still have this pin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes of course. Grandma held on to it for some reason. I hope to find out why someday :).

    ReplyDelete